The Motorola TalkAbout T5320 are one of the models of Motorola’s FRS (Family Service Radio) radios.
The technical details are:
- 14-channel FRS 2-way radio
- up to 2-mile range
- 5 audible call tones; talk confirmation tone
- Battery meter indicator with audible low battery alert; backlit LCD
- Removable faceplate; removable swivel belt clip; single-pin audio accessory connector
- Rechargeable capable with optional accessory upgrade kit
Most FRS radios claim far more range than they actually get. In my experience, these are no different. If the land was flat, with not so much as a gnat in between, they might have the two mile range.
We used them when the kids were younger and went out to play. This way we could keep in contact if needed and they could radio to let us know if they were going somewhere other than where they had originally told us.
When the kids were a little older we let them go about a mile away with friends to McDonalds. We asked them to radio when they got there and again before they left. Our radio keyed up when they got there, but we couldn’t understand a word they said, and they said they radioed before they left, but we didn’t hear a chirp.
Because they worked for the main reason we purchased them, I am giving them three stars. If you need something with longer range than a few blocks, I would suggest looking at another radio.