A few years ago I wanted to replace my plastic Nalgene bottle due to it and other plastic bottles containing Bisphenol-A (BPA). BPA has been linked to various cancers and other maladies. At the time, there were only a few non-plastic options available. The one I liked the most was from Guyot Designs. (At the time of this post their website is down for redesign but their products are still available on Amazon.) My wife got me two bottles as gifts, one for work and the other for home.
Guyot Designs 38oz
- Price $35.00
- 38 ounce container
- Made from 18/10 surgical grade stainless
- Since it is metal it is BPA Free.
- When sealed correctly, the lid is spill proof.
- The wide mouth makes filling easy but also makes the splash guard a must-have. I know we got a splash guard with each bottle but that was directly from Guyot Designs. I don’t know what the other vendors who sell through Amazon will do.
- The wide mouth also makes cleaning easier.
- Even with the cap slightly on, this bottle keeps liquids surprisingly cool for an extended time. This is my opinion from having it on my desk at work all day.
- Because the metal isn’t wimpy it can take a tumble. I’ve dropped mine on concrete and it has a minor ding.
- This is a wide container with a diameter just over 3.5” and a circumference of almost 11”. It doesn’t tip easily.
- As it is metal, even though it says not to put hot liquids in, in an emergency you could easily boil water with it, as long as you had a hot pad of some sort, as the container would get VERY hot.
- Since it holds 38oz, drink two a day and you’ve drank the recommended amount of water.
- It is dishwasher safe, to insure sanitization.
- It is expensive for a water bottle. Since it is the last one I will ever purchase, I see it as being frugal. I have no problem paying for the quality of something that will last a very long time.
- As I mentioned, my wife got me two. There is a “rope” connecting the lid to the body. The “rope” came loose on both of them. This was easily remedied with a little super glue, even after repeated dishwasher cycles.
- The width might be an issue for some, I have fairly big hands and this is a handful to be sure. There is another Guyot bottle called The Backpacker It has a narrower base and would be easier to hold. Incidentally, the Backpacker is around $25.00.
Since many manufactures started using different metals and stopped using polycarbonate polymers to make their bottles, there are many more options available. I have looked at many others and haven’t found one yet that comes close to the Guyot Designs 38oz.
I give this item four stars.
If you liked this article please think about sharing it on the social media listed below, thanks!